Cst Kevin Bradford demonstrates the Ottawa Police Traffic Investigations Drone
This is the last set of announcements before the summer break. The upcoming year end trip is the last scheduled activity for the training year. Cadet activities will recommence in September 2019, information will be posted at the end of August. Have a wonderful summer!
Year End Trip (Friday June 7th – Sunday Jun 9th)
The squadron will be taking a Year End trip to the Laurentian’s in Quebec the weekend of June 7 – 9, 2019. Cadets are to arrive no later than 1830 at NDHS (710 Broadview ave.) on the Friday, and should be picked up no later than 1600 on Sunday at the same location. It will be a fun weekend where cadets will participate in several activities. Only cadets that have done at least two fundraising shifts are eligible to participate. Cadets who need to and haven’t filed a Detailed Health Questionnaire are not eligible to participate.
An info package and the permission slip are attached below, a signed permission slip is to be brought on June 7th before boarding the bus.
Year End Trip Authorization Slip
2018 Group Participant’s Guide Acro-nature
Information and Travel Orders for Camp:
For all cadets attending summer camps this year, the travel orders and any other information regarding summer camps will be posted on our website soon. Be sure to check the website regularly as the information is subject to change.
Become a Host Family for International Exchange Cadets
The Air Cadet League of Canada is searching for interested families to participate in hosting 70 international cadets for a weekend (2019 – August 2 to August 4). They need approx. 35 families (if each family takes 2 cadets). If you are interested in being a host family, you will have to be screened first. The requirements are as follows:
- Each cadet must have their own bed
- Families must take in min. 2 cadets (for the safety of cadets)
- Families pick up their cadets on Friday evening at an ‘ice cream social’
- Families are not remunerated for expenses (food, activities, logging)
- Families are to return cadets on Sunday at which time there will be a BBQ for host families and cadets. (This BBQ may take place in St-Jean or Ottawa depending on number of host families in each region)
- Only family members 18 yrs and older must be screened (police check) – family members who will not be present during the weekend do not need to be screened.
- A home inspection will be conducted to ensure that the number of beds is available.
- Male and female cadets cannot be bunked in the same room
- Host families do not need to speak the language of the cadets they are hosting
Host families are asked to show cadets around (city, landmarks, etc.) – we can provide a list of activities – families who have “original” ideas can suggest them but for the safety of cadets some activities could not be an option.
If you are interested please contact Mrs. Lynn Sénécal here.
For cadets who are in grade 12, don’t miss the opportunity for various scholarships provided by Air Cadet League of Canada. For those who are interested, please visit this link.
Regular Training Night
There are no more training nights until September 2019. Please visit this website in August 2019 for details regarding the start of the 2019-2020 year. Have a wonderful summer!
Special Thank You
A special thank you to the Ottawa Police Officers who took the time out of their schedules to demonstrate the Ottawa Police drones to the 211 Ottawa Kiwanis Air Cadet Squadron. Left to right: Sgt Cameron Graham, S/Sgt Peter Jupp, Cst Kevin Bradford and Cst David Wong of the Ottawa Police.
211 Ottawa Kiwanis Royal Canadian Air Cadets marvel at the incredible drone and its capabilities for use in investigations.
Ottawa Police drone hovering.