Please make sure that you properly and clearly read all of the below details.
Secondly, please make sure that before attending a Cadet activity following a significant weather event, that you first verify the squadron calendar available on the squadron website or the Facebook page to ensure the activity is still ongoing.
Biathlon – Equipment Return
Now that the season has ended, please return all borrowed equipment next week (May 15) to FSgt Kennedy. We will also holding a year-end fun activity to stay tuned for details.
Band this Friday at Ottawa Technical Secondary School, 485 Donald St, from 18:15 to 20:30. For any questions, please contact FSgt Hatzis.
Junior Ground School
Junior ground school will be Monday May 13th at 6:30pm at NDHS.
Marksmanship practice Friday May 10th from 1900 to 2100 at the QMO (142 Chemin Freeman).
Drill Team Tuesday May 14th at NDHS from 18:30 to 20:30.
Annual Ceremonial Review (Saturday May 25th @ Bernard Grandmaitre Arena)
This year’s squadron annual review will occur on Saturday May 25th at the Bernard Grandmaitre Arena (309 McArthur St, Vanier) at 13hr30. This is the squadron’s biggest parade of the year and displays the hard-work and dedication the staff and cadets have put in throughout the year. Cadets and staff are to arrive in civilian clothes with their full uniform on a hanger at 08hr30, for a run-through before the parade. Parents and guests are to arrive between 13hr00 and 13hr15.
If a cadet is unable to attend they must have a valid reason and email Capt Fortin before May 25th at email@example.com
Year End Trip (Friday June 7th – Sunday Jun 9th)
The squadron’s year end trip is scheduled for June 7th to 9th. Further details to come.
Become a Host Family for International Exchange Cadets
The Air Cadet League of Canada is searching for interested families to participate in hosting 70 international cadets for a weekend (2019 – August 2 to August 4). They need approx. 35 families (if each family takes 2 cadets). If you are interested in being a host family, you will have to be screened first. The requirements are as follows
- Each cadet must have their own bed
- Families must take in min. 2 cadets (for the safety of cadets)
- Families pick up their cadets on Friday evening at an ‘ice cream social’
- Families are not remunerated for expenses (food, activities, logging)
- Families are to return cadets on Sunday at which time there will be a BBQ for host families and cadets. (This BBQ may take place in St-Jean or Ottawa depending on number of host families in each region)
- Only family members 18 yrs and older must be screened (police check) – family members who will not be present during the weekend do not need to be screened.
- A home inspection will be conducted to ensure that the number of beds is available.
- Male and female cadets cannot be bunked in the same room
- Host families do not need to speak the language of the cadets they are hosting
- Host families are asked to show cadets around (city, landmarks, etc.) – we can provide a list of activities – families who have “original” ideas can suggest them but for the safety of cadets some activities could not be an option.
If you are interested please contact Mrs. Lynn Sénécal at firstname.lastname@example.org
For cadets who are in grade 12, don’t miss the opportunity for various scholarships provided by Air Cadet League of Canada. For those who are interested, please visit: https://aircadetleague.com/for-cadets-squadrons/awards/scholarships/
Regular Training Night (Wednesday May 15th @ NDHS)
Next week is a regular training night, cadets will be practising for ACR, level 4’s are reminded that they are to bring a blanket next week.
From Captain Labelle – “Please note that all level 4’s need to bring an apron to not dirty their uniforms – Thank you”
It may be spring, but a reminder to all cadets and parents that outdoor shoes are NOT allowed in the gym.